Monday, May 17, 2010

Here I Go Again

Ok folks, I know it's been a long time coming, but I'm back in training starting this week!

Now, a little back story... I raced in and completed the Keys 50 almost a year ago today. I finished in just a little under 13 hours, which kinda sucks, but oh well, it was a good first try at getting back into this sport. I learned (and relearned) a lot on that trip, but that was a year ago, and this isn't a year delayed race report, so I'll leave it at that. It was a fun trip though. Throughout the race, I carried a ring in my pocket which I eventually gave to my soon-to-be wife the next evening (getting on one knee was embarrassing, but I did it anyway, for the sake of formality). Now Emily is here with me in Florida, and life is much, much better

Anyways, all that aside, it's been a year. I was plagued with IT band syndrome which caused me to all but give up on the ultra-running thing. But I'm pissed off with being lazy, so I made an outlandish goal. One year from this week, I will race in the Keys 100. In doing so, I'll be posting all my lessons-learned (and relearned) here. I made my training schedule today, and it seems challenging but reasonable at the same time. A few weeks stray into 70 miles, and I have a 50 mile training race a month or so before to begin my taper off of. This November (after the wedding in October :) ) I'll be doing the Pensacola Marathon while my wife will be doing her first official half marathon! These truly are exciting times.

Training starts tomorrow with three days of easy short distance runs, with two more this weekend. Mondays and Fridays will be permanent rest days. I'll be sure to update this later on with how these go.

Passion had fueled my progress, and I hungered for more ~ Dean Karnazes

No comments: