Monday, January 26, 2009

Rainy Days

What is it about bad weather that makes me want to run in it?

Every time its raining hard, I'm reminded of an American Express commercial I saw a few years ago with Tiger Woods. He describes what chances await him on rainy days, then fades to him out in the pouring rain practicing his shot as he narrates "Problem is, there are no rainy days". By the time I make it to the computer to watch it again, I'm lacing up the shoes to go run.

I love running when its 65 degrees on a not to sunny day and the run is as comfortable as can be. There's just something about bad weather that makes me feel tougher for running in it. Extreme heat, blistering cold, blizzards, tropical storms, I've ran in them all. Coming back from a run when your ears are ringing from thunder and someone gives you that "are you kidding me?" look just cause me to smile and nod slowly. It rained both on my Saturday and Sunday long runs, and I loved it.

Saturday was a 10 mile run and Sunday was a 6 mile run. At the halfway point of Sunday's run, I was tempted to go even further. I'm really starting to hit my stride here and I'm always motivated to try to run farther. Just two weeks into my training plan and I'm thinking I'm already good to go with a 50 mile run. It can't stop me. Tomorrow's scheduled run is 2 miles...

... who knows how far I'm going...

No comments: