Monday, June 14, 2010

The Purge Round 2

The Purge is on!

What the hell is the Purge?

The Purge is my colossal attempt to rid all things unhealthy from my diet and turn myself into someone who resembles a fit person.

The Purge Round 1 was to eliminate soda and all types of caffeine from my diet. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a caffeine and soda junkie. 6 to 10 sodas a day wouldn't phase me at all, along with coffee (if you were buying), chocolate, or energy drinks, all those too. I could tell that it was really contributing to my inability to lose weight. I would run and do P90X every day for a month and I maybe lost three pounds. On March 26, I drank my last Dr. Pepper (my personal favorite). 80 days ago, the cravings have mostly subsided, but I still get them maybe once or twice a day. Better than the splitting, day-ending headaches I got the first week. I spent probably 60% of a week TDY in my hotel bed due to withdrawals. Given where I came from, once a day is easy to deal with. For the past 80 days, its only water or milk that I drink, nothing else. I'm declaring round 1 complete.

Round 2: Work out every day. Now that I eliminated the majority of my junk calories, I can begin to cut down on the spare tire I've been lugging around. Right now, its P90X. I started Friday morning so that the easier days are on PT days so I won't be completely wasted. I'm also sticking to my running routine so that I won't lose any time on my training. Running comes first, but I'm going to try my hardest to stick with P90X as well. Almost done with the first week, just one more hard workout left and it's all downhill til Friday.

I also went swimming in the base pool yesterday morning. Emily would swim down the length of the pool, and somehow I would make it down there too. She would power her way down there, even with me saying I'd wait for her on this end while I'm pushing off the wall to swim. Somehow I talked myself into a half mile, after not swimming in years! The last time I swam more than a lap was freshman year of high school 8 years ago.

Half mile = stupid

I am so sore right now. There was a triathlon guy doing laps in the lane next to me, putting both Emily and I to shame, and I have no clue how he did it. I'm thinking it's going to become a weekly thing, me doing a half mile, until I can slowly start to increase it.

Anyways, that's the update for now. I'm sore as hell every day and it feels good, but it hurts so bad too. 11 months to the Keys 100 and I need to start taking this seriously. Time to respect the distance.

And so The Purge continues...

No comments: