Sunday, June 27, 2010

Time to Refocus Goals

Hey all,

About a week or so ago I found out that I might be moving a bit earlier than I had planned for the next job. We're talking January instead of July or August. As a result, I've pretty much scrapped the Florida Keys 100 plan.

Since I said MIGHT I'm not going to focus on any races in particular for next year. That leaves me the Pensacola Marathon in November. It's pretty close to home, cheap, and flat. Should be a good way to get back into the swing of things to kill this post-50 funk I'm in.

This race wasn't actually my idea, it was Emily's!

.... I was shocked too

She wanted to run the half-marathon race and said I should do the full. She twisted my arm, bent my fingers in the wrong direction, and pulled my hair until I relented and said I would run the race.

Just kidding, I was in right away.

This is my only race planned for this season, so I'm going to up the goals a little bit. By up the goals a little bit, I mean try for a PR. Not just a "back to racing" PR but lifetime PR for the marathon. My previous best was 3:45 at the Marshall University Marathon in Huntington, VA way back in 2005. That means I'm shooting for 3:30 here. I figure the weather and the flatness of Florida will be working in my favor here. For those of you who are embarrassed to try math in public, this equates to just slower than an 8 minute mile.

When was the last time I trained at 8 minute miles? I have 10 minute pace engrained into my head! That means speed training....

ugh...

I'm going to have to come up with a plan...

1 comment:

Emily said...

i hate you sometimes....I barely even suggested it and you were the one pulling my hair in excitement to do the pensacola marathon :-P get your story straight! haha